Thursday, May 17, 2007

Responding to Jehovah's Witnesses

By Ian Hugh Clarey @ http://ruminationsbythelake.blogspot.com/

Last week I was approached by two Jehovah's Witnesses and had an excellent time sharing a full gospel message with them. I gave them my email address and today found an email from a friend of theirs named "John T." Here is my response to him:
Hi John,

Thank you for your email. I was wondering if I would receive an email as a result of my conversation with those two girls (I don't recall their names!). They were very nice and I delighted in my conversation with them. I would love to get together with you and them to discuss the gospel more in depth.

A bit about myself: I was converted to Christ almost eleven years ago. Since that time, I have gone to both Heritage Bible College and Toronto Baptist Seminary. I am currently enrolled at the latter in a Master of Divinity program. My thesis next year will be on Augustine and the later Pelagian controversy. My hope is to later to a Master of Theology looking particular at the Pelagian controversy as it came into medieval theology, particularly in the writings of Bernard of Clairvaux. Afterwards, if God wills it, I will do a PhD in historical theology looking at the Irish Puritan James Ussher's understanding of the Pelagian controversy in his debates with the Jesuits of his day.

In particular, I am a Reformed Baptist and attend a Chinese church with my wife here in Toronto. I came to Calvinistic convictions about six years ago - hence my interest in Pelagianism.

In terms of reading the Bible - I try to do it as often as possible. I will be going into my third year of koine Greek and am looking forward to the day when I only need to bring my Greek Bible to church! I'm not there yet!

As much as I appreciate your email. I really didn't have a question about the name of God at all. I have no problem with the name Jehovah - recognising it as a poor transliteration of Yahweh. But you can call the Father Jehovah all you please. I also agree with what you wrote about the importance of a name when it comes to God or anyone else. In the Great Commission found at the end of Matthew, Jesus tells His disciples to baptise in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. In fact, I would argue that your failure to recognise the Triune name is heresy. I guess that means I would take your argument to its proper (and logical) step. But this is something I am sure we can discuss when we get together.

God bless,
Ian<><

No comments: