Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Jesus: Liar, Lunatic, or Lord? (Mark 3:20-35) John MacArthur

I was saying to someone the other day that I'm not sure that it is nearly as important for you that I preach as it is for me that I preach. This is the passion of my life, the joy of my life. And for the privilege of preparation itself if I never preached, I would give everything in this world because there's no joy like the joy of digging deep into the discovery of the truth revealed in Scripture and especially when it has to do with the most compelling person of all, the incarnate God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thus we find ourselves again in a gospel and it is now the gospel of Mark and I invite you to take your Bible and if you will, open your Bible to Mark chapter 3...Mark chapter 3. We're going to be looking at the last section of Mark chapter 3 verses 20 through verse 35. It's a prolonged section and it's a story within a story. So we're going to have to split it into two weeks. I would have to let you know that this week will be, in some ways, the simpler of the two and next week, perhaps, the more challenging and the more compelling and the more stunning teaching. But these are two very important portions of Scripture that are blended together by Mark in a unique way as a story within a story.

Many of you will be familiar with the name C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis, the great writer, the great thinker, the great Christian apologist has written many, many things that all of us are very, very familiar with. And in his effort at apologetics, he came up with a paradigm that has probably become somewhat well known, maybe it's more widely known even then its author, namely C.S. Lewis...

No comments: