Monday, July 30, 2007

Confronting the Cultists at your Door

There are two valuable questions I like to ask Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses that come to my door. They're valuable because they require very little knowledge about their beliefs and yet they allow me to create a more meaningful conversation. Before I begin, however, I gently shift gears from answering all their questions to asking a few questions myself. You can ask these too (or some variation of them).

First, I ask them, "If you discovered you were mistaken about your faith, would you be willing to change your religion?" This question is critical because it exposes whether or not they're a genuine truth seeker. They are presumably there to show you're mistaken about your faith and should change it after they show you the truth. They should also be willing to extend you the same courtesy. If not, then I point out how their position is unreasonable and thank them for coming to visit. I try to avoid spending time with people who are not genuine truth seekers and are not willing to follow the evidence where it leads. You can waste a lot of time talking to people who are closed to the truth.

Second, I ask them, "Can you offer me three objective reasons or evidences for why you believe your religion is true?" Notice this question immediately shifts the burden of proof to them, where it belongs. It takes the pressure off you and gives you valuable insight into their rationale. Remember, they've come to you. You're under no obligation to jump through their hoops and answer their questions. Just be sure to keep them on track and not let them deviate from the question at hand. They're often hard pressed to offer you convincing objective reasons. Mormons often ask you to pray and ask God to reveal the truth to you. This is not an objective reason or evidence, however, so don't let them get away with offering it as an answer.

Notice my strategy. First, I avoid the trap of being dragged onto their turf with their questions and agenda. Second, I make them shoulder the burden of proof (for which they are responsible to do given the circumstances). Now that they are off their script, I'm more likely to have a meaningful conversation.

No comments: