Sunday, November 25, 2007

What Will Heaven Be Like?

From http://str.typepad.com

Dennis Prager spoke on his radio show Tuesday about how he has no idea what will happen in heaven because we can't know anything about it. But there is one thing we can know. The main thing. We will rejoice in seeing the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ and be in perfect fellowship with the one, true, beautiful, just, righteous, merciful, good God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--whom we will worship forever and ever.

That is the most important thing about the afterlife, and it's what will make heaven heaven. Every other detail is incidental.

This may sound like a terrible eternity to you. No one wants to spend eternity worshiping someone he doesn't love and honor, and no one will have to. Those who reject the offer of peace from the true God will be sent away. But I pray and work every day to tell you the truth about God's existence and character in hope that you will catch a glimpse of the God you're missing, want to be with Him, accept the forgiveness He offers through the payment Jesus made to completely remove the guilt that separates you from Him, and then join those of us who say now of the future, "We rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

It's no wonder that many of you do not want to worship, let alone be with, the kind of God you've assumed we're proclaiming. But seeing the truth about God changes everything, as David Brainerd (writing in the mid 1700s) describes:

Then, as I was walking in a dark thick grove, unspeakable glory seemed to open to the view and apprehension of my soul. . . . [I]t was a new inward apprehension or view that I had of God, such as I never had before. . . . I stood still, wondered, and admired! I knew that I never had seen before anything comparable to it for excellency and beauty. . . . My soul rejoiced with joy unspeakable to see such a God, such a glorious Divine Being; and I was inwardly pleased and satisfied that He should be God over all for ever and ever. My soul was so captivated and delighted with the excellency, loveliness, greatness, and other perfections of God, that I was even swallowed up in Him. At least to that degree that I had no thought . . . at first, about my own salvation, and scarce reflected there was such a creature as I.

Thus God, I trust, brought me to a hearty disposition to exalt Him and set Him on the throne, and principally and ultimately to aim at His honor and glory, as King of the universe.

No comments: