Thursday, February 22, 2007

Burial or Cremation?

From John @ http://thereformedbaptistthinker.blogspot.com

Russell Moore has written an excellent piece for the January/February, 2007 issue of Touchstone magazine: "Grave Signs." I used to be a staunch cremation proponent, even after I became a Christian. However, over the last several years, I rethought my view as I have been applying a biblical worldview to all areas of life. Now I have asked to be buried, and advocate the same for all Christians (while recognizing that God may have other plans for our bodies, especially due to persecution and martyrdom). Moore makes this case better than I ever could. Here is an excerpt:

Of all the issues of controversy among Christians, I find few more incendiary than whether or not we should, well, incinerate the bodies of our loved ones. I find that Christians become agitated, defensive, and personally insulted more quickly on the question of cremation than on almost any other contemporary question. And I find this odd.

A Christian burial seems, in this culture, more and more nonsensical: a waste of money, a waste of otherwise usable land, a waste, perhaps, even of emotion, as we try to “hold on to the past” and fail to “move through our grief and get on with life.” But if someone had asked any previous generation of Christians or of pagans if cremation were a Christian act, the answer would have seemed obvious to them, whether they were believers or infidels: Christians bury their dead.

Today, however, an anti-cremation stance is often ridiculed by Christians as, at best, Luddite and, at worst, carnal. When I counsel a family to reject the funeral director’s cremation option, I am often asked: “Can’t God raise a cremated Christian just as he can raise a decomposed buried Christian?” The question is more complicated than whether God can reconstitute ashes. Of course he can. The question is whether we should put him in a position of having to do so in the first place.

No comments: