Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Counseling and How to Change

posted by Wayne Shih @ http://acts18910.blogspot.com/

How does change take place in people's lives? Here are some biblical reflections from a few different sources:- Justin Taylor refers to the The Dynamics of Biblical Change taught by David Powlison.
Here are the eight questions to ask in seeking the dynamics of biblical sanctification:
1. What is my situation? (What was or what will be my situation?)
2. How am I reacting? (or How did I react? How will I be tempted to react?)
3. What is ruling me? (Desires, expectations, fears, beliefs)
4. What are the consequences of my reaction? (Vicious circles)
5. Who is God? What does He say? What resources will He provide to help in my need?
6. How can I turn to God for help? (Hebrews 4:16)
7. How should I respond to the situation in order to honor God?8. What are the consequences of living in faith and obedience? (Gracious circles)

- Tim Keller preaches on How to Change (takes about 30 seconds to load).
- Timmy at Provocations and Pantings writes about Conscious for a Change, and shares this quote from Jay Adams:
Since God has made counselees with the capacity for living according to habit, counselors must reckon with habit when seeking to help counselees change. They must help them consciously to take a hard look at their life styles. They must help them to become conscious of life patterns by carefully examining their unconscious responses. Their unconsciousness must again become conscious. As they become aware of life patterns, they must evaluate them by the Word of God. So, as much as I'm a Bob Newhart fan, just telling people to "Stop it" is not all there is to change. Even the moralist can do that. The person with a high level of self-discipline can make the needed changes, if that's all there is to it. But biblical change is a matter from the inside out, requires the work of the Spirit, and involves the entire reorientation of our lives to delight in Christ.

No comments: