Thursday, February 14, 2008

God the Source of All Good

A Prayer from "Valley of Vision"

O Lord God, who inhabitest eternity,
the heavens declare thy glory,
the earth thy riches,
the universe is thy temple;
thy presence fills immensity,
yet thou hast of thy pleasure created life, and communicated happiness;
though hast made me what I am, and given me what I have;
in thee I live and move and have my being;
thy providence has set the bounds of my habitation,
and wisely administers all my affairs.

I thank thee for thy riches to me in Jesus,
for the unclouded revelation of him in thy Word,
where I behold his person, character, grace, glory,
humiliation, sufferings, death, and resurrection:
give me to feel a need of his continual saviorhood,
and cry with Job, ‘I am vile’,
with Peter, ‘I perish’,
with the publican, ‘Be merciful to me, a sinner’.

Subdue in me the love of sin,
let me know the need of renovation as well as of forgiveness,
in order to serve and enjoy thee for ever.

I come to thee in the all-prevailing name of Jesus,
with nothing of my own to plead,
no works, no worthiness, no promises.

I am often straying,
often knowingly opposing thy authority,
often abusing thy goodness;
much of my guilt arises from my religious privileges,
my low estimation of them,
my failure to use them to my advantage,

But I am not careless of thy favour or regardless of thy glory;
impress me deeply with a sense of thine omnipresence,
that thou are about my path, my-ways, my lying down, my end.

No comments: