Thursday, August 31, 2006

Don't Miss the Point: The Gospel


By Wayne and Josh Mack.


When I started this book, my wife was concerned that I would become a Christian. That didn’t happen. But I have become a fan, not just of the music, but of Christians, and of Jesus himself. To me, the message of the Gospel is love one another, look out for the less fortunate, and try to walk gently on the earth. And I love that… To anyone struggling with Christianity, my advice is try to keep your eye on the big picture, not a verse here and there. Love God, if you are so inclined, and one another. Sort out the rest using those principles as a lens.”
–Andrew Beaujon, author of Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the phenomenon of Christian rock

I’m glad Andrew likes Christians.

I’m not surprised that he didn’t become one. Because unfortunately, it seems he missed the point of the gospel. The message of the gospel is not about something we do.

I just hope that he missed the message of the gospel because he missed it not because he spent all that time researching Christian music and came away with that impression about it.

The gospel is good news.

News.

It’s not a philosophy of life. It’s not a way to live life. The gospel is about an event that took place. The central message of Christianity is not that we need to love each other. The central message of Christianity is about the way that God loved us by sending His Son to die in our place for the forgiveness of our sins and to rise again for our justification.

No comments: