Three types of sin:
- Personal Sin: Sins committed by the individual. All people have personal sin (Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:10)
- Inherited Sin: The physical and spiritual corruption which produces a bent and inclination toward sin and a natural enmity toward God (Eph. 2:3; John 8:44; Jer. 13:23; Ps. 51:5). This sin is mediated (inherited) directly from our parents.
- Imputed Sin: God’s immediate declaration of guilt to every individual for the sin of Adam. This sin is “imputed” (or credited) to all people as if they had committed the sin.
He covers a summary of where the traditions fall with regards to these three.
- Reformed Evangelicals:
This comparison is between two things:
1. The effects of Adam’s sin
2. The effects of Christ’s righteousness
Through Adams Sin | Through Christ’s Righteousness
Judgment (16) Free gift (16)
Condemnation (16) Justification (16)
Death Reigned (17) Life Reigned (17)
One Transgression=Condemnation of all (18) One Act of Righteousness=Justification of all (18)
Adam’s disobedience=many were made sinners (19) Christ’s obedience=many were made righteous (19)