Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Call of the Disciple: Christ's Martyrs

By Paul Huxley @ http://paulhuxley.blogspot.com

Question: What word, deriving from the Greek word for witness refers to a person who gives up their life for a cause?

I'm pretty sure I heard a question something like this on The Weakest Link not too long ago. Having been equipped with my ESV Greek-English Reverse Interlinear Bible, I already knew the word. Martyr.

It occurs to me that the word barely requires translation. We who have been called to be witnesses for Christ are called to give up our lives for him.

'And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”'
(Luke 9:23-27)


Terrifying. Those who are ashamed of Christ will be denied by him. If you have a choice between your life and Jesus and you choose your life, you lose. Big time.

This is a massive call. Westerners like me like to think that although we're afraid to speak freely about Jesus to our friends and neighbours, put a gun to our heads and we won't be afraid then. Cockfosters. I find it amazing that although I can act without a hint of shame doing trivial, entertaining nonsense, I find myself cracking under the pressure to simply tell somenoe about Jesus. The best news in the world. Isn't this the time to cry "I need Jesus!"?

Yet it doesn't stop there. Jesus wants everything. He calls for everything. He demands everything. He wants me to be a living dead man (Romans 12:1). Every hope, desire, plan and dream must be laid at Jesus' feet. This is hugely hard. Particularly if you're a sinner, and think that you always know best.

What a treasure awaits us though! It may be hidden in a field, and cost us all that we own to buy it, but boy, will it be worth it.

Jesus wants witnesses to his glory. He wants martyrs, living dead men to follow him. Ask Jesus for help.

No comments: