Monday, January 22, 2007

Good Preachers? Good Husbands?

From Colin Adams @ http://unashamedworkman.wordpress.com

Today’s Beyond the Workshop reproduces an article I ‘guest posted’ on my wife’s blog last November. Its on the theme of a pastor’s marriage. Two months on, I’m pondering how well I’m doing at this. And, after a heavy week of sermon preparation, asking ‘have I worked harder on my sermon than at my marriage?’

wedding1.jpg

“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)

For most husbands - whether admitted to or not - these words are terrifying. I know. Having been asked to ‘guest blog’ on the subject of a husbands’ role in marriage, I’ve been reminded again of my many short-comings. What a standard: as Christ loved the church.

Thankfully, help is at hand. As well as biblical examples and godly present day models of sacrificial husbandship, we have two thousand years of church history to instruct us. It’s on this latter front that Doreen Moore’s “Good Christians, Good Husbands?” offers a valuable resource. In this page-turning book, Moore examines the colourful marriages of three renowned evangelicals: John Wesley, George Whitefield, and Jonathan Edwards. What becomes clear is that while all made a significant impact for the gospel worldwide, they were variously successful on the home-front.

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments: