Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Satan v. Church Leaders

Jonathan Leeman @ www.blog.9marks.org quotes Southern Seminary professor Chuck Lawless. He imagines what he would do if he were Satan, trying to ensnare pastors and church leaders. The whole article is here, but his seven basic points are:

First, I would attack those who are most gifted . . . by reminding them that they are gifted.

Second, I would encourage leaders to talk about accountability . . . but not be personally accountable to anyone.

Third, I would challenge leaders to emphasize spiritual disciplines . . . but only for others.

Fourth, I would focus the leader’s attention on tomorrow . . . rather than today.

Fifth, I would encourage ministry by e-mail . . . especially with those of the opposite gender.

Sixth, I would not hinder ministry success . . . as long as “success” results in few changed lives.

Seventh, I would stress failure . . . and then lead the church to do the same.

No comments: