Tuesday, January 16, 2007

God's Thoughts

By Jeff Voegtlin @ http://www.jackhammr.org/2007/01/15/is-there-any-thing-god-doesnt-think-about/

What does God think about? You probably think that God doesn’t concern Himself with the same topics that you do. This is because we often think like the psalmist was when he wrote:

O LORD, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep. Psalm 92:5

Now, what categories would you give to God’s thoughts?

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

So, do you think there is anything that God doesn’t think about? Have you ever thought about that? You might be asking, “Who cares? Is this even important?” It is of utmost importance because we are told to bring every one of our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ.

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5

If every one of our thoughts is to be obedient to Christ, He must think something about all our thoughts and all the categories for our thoughts. And of course, this is the challenge: in ourselves, we do not think like Christ. Philippians 2:5 tells us to let the “mind” of Christ be in us. Romans 13:14 commands us to “put on the Lord,” as does Ephesians 4:24-32.

As we try to obey Scripture, we recognize a struggle in true Christians’ lives.

For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:15-25

These verses end with what sounds like an excuse. It seems like the apostle is saying, “Oh well, I guess I’m just schizophrenic.” But the answer is in the first two verses of chapter eight.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

In order to have the mind of Christ, we must submit to the Spirit of Christ–the Holy Spirit.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 1 Corinthians 2:9-12

Submitting to the Holy Spirit–Holy Spirit filling is not a one-time event. Neither is it a huge spiritual experience. It is continual submission to His will. Be being filled with the spirit (Ephesians 5:18). “Walk in the spirit…” (Galatians 5:16-26). Walking means taking steps. Every step is directed by the spirit. Our lives and thoughts must be governed in this way.

God has a thought for every step of your life. While His thoughts are high, that does not mean He doesn’t think about you or what you are doing. We must learn to think like He does about every category of our lives.

No comments: