Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thinking Through the Millennium and Revelation 20

By John @ http://thereformedbaptistthinker.blogspot.com/

A friend of mine recently asked about my view on the millennium as well as any resources I reccomended for further study on this end times debate. I thought some of you that read my blog may also find my brief response useful, so the following is my reply:

It has taken me several years, much reading, and changing of positions to be comfortable with where I am at now. In any case, I am amillennial. Honestly, I cannot point to a single source that really swung me one way or the other. It was spending time reading and studying the relevant biblical texts in light of the debate. For me, it all began with IVPs The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views. This book was a good overview, but did not convince me (on its own) of amillennialism. I just read a lot from different perspectives over time.

For some good reading on amillennialism, a contemporary defender is Kim Riddlebarger. He has a section of his site devoted to On-Line Resources for Amillennial Eschatology, including "Links to Helpful Books, Essays, and Charts.". He has written a good introductory article, regularly answers questions (part 1 and part 2), and written a book defending amillennialism: A Case for Amillennialism.

In any case, the motherload of eschatology articles online is through Monergism.com. You could spend *years* reading through all of these great resources (from different Reformed perspectives).

Sam Waldron has also written an introductory book, The End Times Made Simple. And while I had serious issues with some of it, Stanley Grenz' The Millennial Maze is still a good compare/contrast for a discerning reader.

No comments: