Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rick Warren Claims to 'Out-Sacrifice' Jesus Christ?

From Chris Rosebrough @ http://www.extremetheology.com/

**This is an Updated and Expanded Version of this post**

A reader from New Zealand pointed out this Rick Warren quote from the Pastors.com website. I had to track it down and when I did my jaw hit the floor!

Rick Warren is quoted on his own website as saying “I will never let anybody out-sacrifice me for Saddleback Church."

Here is a screen clip from Warren's site.

Now, to be fair, Pastor Rick didn't say that he is out-sacrificing Jesus. Yet, since Pastor Warren said that he will never let ANYBODY out-sacrifice him, one could assume that Jesus Christ could be included in Pastor Warren's 'anybody' list. But, it is unlikely that is what Warren meant.

This however, leads us to two more important questions...

1) What did Warren mean by this statement?

2) Is it appropriate for a Christian Pastor to be talking this way?

What did Warren mean by this statement?

It is very difficult to figure out exactly what Warren meant by this statement. There is no context. It is just a free floating quote. Therefore, your interpretation of this quote is automatically going to be colored by your opinions of Warren.

In my study of Warren, his purpose-driven movement, his constant talking about himself and his achievements, the churches that have been destroyed by his programs and his unrepentant misuse and abuse of God's Word, I have come to the conclusion that Warren is a dangerous and deceptive man. I see this quote as more evidence that Warren is a self-centered and prideful person who is more interested in his agenda and programs than he is in faithfully teaching the word of God.

Someone with a favorable opinion of Warren however, will interpret this quote in a more favorable light and try to put the best construction on it.

Whether you put a good spin on it or not, one thing is undeniably clear about this statement, It is a boast. This is Rick Warren boasting about himself and claiming that he will not let anyone out do him when it comes to sacrificing for Saddleback.

This leads to our second question.

Is it appropriate for a Christian Pastor to be talking this way?

When I first read the quote my initial reaction to it was utter disbelief. Why? Because as one who teaches in the church I understand that my job is to point people to Jesus Christ not to myself. When I read this quote I immediately asked, "Does Pastor Warren now think of himself as a Christ-figure or Messiah"? "Does Pastor Warren believe that he has sacrificed more for Saddleback Church than Jesus?"

I could not understand how on earth a Christian Pastor could boast about himself like this!

I believe that scripture teaches that we are not supposed to boast about our sacrifices. Instead we are to boast about Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins!

This arrogant boast by Warren deeply offends me. I find it disgusting and inappropriate for a Christian Pastor to talk this way.

This quote is even more offensive in light of the fact that Warren is always the one reminding people that the first sentence in the Purspose-Driven Life is "It's NOT about YOU."

If he really believed that, then why on earth would he ever talk about himself is this way?

If it is NOT about Rick Warren, then Rick Warren needs to talk about Jesus' sacrifice not his own.

Galatians 6:14 - But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

2 Corinthians 10:17 - Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.

2 Corinthians 11:30 - If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

James 4:16 - As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

-----

Here is the link to the page on Rick Warren’s site.

Since Saddleback has a habit of removing damaging content and videos from the web as soon as they surface. I’ve posted a screen shot from the Pastors.com page below. Click here to view it.

No comments: