Saturday, October 28, 2006

U2-charist?

by Kim Riddlebarger

U2-charist? Click here: U2 News on Yahoo! Music

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Rev. Paige Blair of the Episcopal Church in York Harbor, Maine, decided to use Bono and company's music to replace the out of date previous favorites, Bach and Handel, during the Eucharist. The result is that the U2-charist has now spread to 150 Episcopal parishes around America.

Sadly, I'll bet there's more sound theology in Bono's lyrics than in many of these churches. The very thought of the U2-charist might even ruin U2's music for me. I don't ever want to hear "I still haven't found what I'm looking for . . ." during the Lord's Supper!

At least in the good old days, you could count on the ultra-liberal Episcopalians to put on a decent Bach or Handel concert. Now we can't even count on them for that.


No comments: